Free Tax Help from people you can trust.

Free Tax Help

Keep more of what you earn. Get your taxes done for free at the Center for Economic Progress (CEP). You may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit or other refunds. We have been a trusted provider of free tax help and financial services for over 25 years thanks to our passionate and IRS-certified volunteers.

What's Exciting?

We are rolling out service by appointment only at our Brighton Park Kelly High School location and for Progress on the Go mobile financial center events. All Sites now offer opportunities to open a savings account and access to tax law services

How can we help you?

  1. In person: You can visit one of our 16 tax sites to get your taxes done by one of our IRS-certified tax preparers. Find a tax site including information about hours and drop off service, download our 2018 tax flyer, or find a Progress on the Go Tax Event.
  2. Drop Off: You can skip the wait and user our drop-off services. Drop your paperwork off and come back later to pick it up. Available at these sites: Uptown, Loop, Aurora, Southland, Joliet, and Elgin.
  3. Online: If you want to file on your own online, we can help make that happen with the IRS free file program where you can access our brand-name partner, TurboTax, at no charge.

Who do we help?

We provide free tax help to:

  • Families with incomes less than $55,000
  • Individuals with incomes less than $30,000

Find out more about eligibility here.

What should you bring with you to receive free tax services?

To get our free tax services, you MUST bring with you:

  • All tax documents received, including W-2s and 1099s
  • Social Security Cards or ITIN card/letter for everyone that appears on your tax return
  • Valid Photo ID
  • Checking and Savings account and bank routing numbers
  • Information pertaining to health insurance coverage (Form 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C, Medicare card) or Certificate of Exemption
  • Copy of your property tax bill paid in 2017, if applicable
  • Copy of your 2016 tax return