Free Tax Help
Get Your Taxes Done for Free
From January thru April, CEP has free tax sites in communities throughout Illinois. Each year, we help nearly 20,000 people file their taxes and get all the tax credits they’ve earned and refunds they’re owed. Our free tax sites are more than a place to get your taxes done. At most sites, you’ll be able to open a bank account, learn ways to save for the future, and better manage your money.
Who do we help?
We provide free tax help to:
- Families with incomes less than $50,000
- Individuals with incomes less than $25,000
What should you bring with you to receive free tax services?
To get our free tax services, you MUST bring with you:
- All W-2s and 1099s (if any) for the year involved
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) for all family members
- Valid photo ID for the person filing
- Copy of previous year’s tax return, if possible
- Bank account number and routing number if you choose to direct deposit your tax refund
- Property tax bill
- Amount spent on college expenses
Amending Your Tax Return
Did you discover that you didn’t list all of your W-2s or 1099s on your tax return? Or did you forget to claim all of your tax credits?
If you filed your tax return and realized that something needs to be added, updated or corrected, you will need to file an amended return by using the IRS form 1040X. However:
- If it’s BEFORE April 15, you should go back to the place where you had your taxes done and have the business or organization complete an amended return for you.
- If it’s AFTER April 15, please call our tax hotline at (312) 630-0273. We may be able to help.