Six Reasons 90% of People will E-file Their Tax Returns
The following article was provided and written by the IRS, then modified where appropriate to mention CEP's services.
If you’re one of the 10 percent of people still mailing your tax return, this is the year to make a change. The IRS expects about 90 percent of individual taxpayers to file electronically in 2018 — that’s a record high. IRS e-file is a fast, safe and proven way to get your tax return to the IRS.
Here are the top six reasons why you should file electronically in 2018:
- It’s the fastest way to get a refund. Combining IRS e-file and direct deposit is the fastest way to get your refund. IRS issues nine out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.
- It’s secure. E-file meets strict security guidelines. It uses modern encryption technology to protect tax returns. The IRS continues to work with states and tax industry leaders to protect tax returns from identity theft refund fraud. This effort has helped put strong safeguards in place to make tax filing a safe and secure option.
- It’s convenient. In most cases, CEP can e-file your returns for you, so you don't need to take an extra trip to the post office.You get a fast acknowledgment.
- When you use e-file, you get a fast confirmation, often within minutes, that your tax return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS. That will give you the peace of mind that the IRS received your return, or, if it was rejected, what you need to do to fix it.
- It’s free when CEP prepares your returns.
- There are several options for making payments. If you owe taxes, you can e-file early and set up an automatic payment on any day until the April deadline. You can pay electronically from your bank account with IRS Direct Pay. Visit IRS.gov/payments for information about other payment options.